Asshole of the Day, July 1, 2013: John Kasich
There’s been lots of talk about Texas’s new abortion bill that Rick Perry wants pushed through so bad, he’s going to keep calling special sessions until it goes through. But while everyone was watching Sen. Wendy Davis filibuster that bill, Ohio was busy passing its own basket of [terrible] restrictions for women.
Over the weekend Gov. John Kasich signed that budget, using his line item veto to get rid of items he didn’t like. Among the things he didn’t veto:
- The terms “pregnancy” and “fetus” will be redefined.
- Women would have to undergo mandatory ultrasound exams for abortions, which for first term abortions means transvaginal ultrasounds.
- Women have to undergo mandatory ultrasounds for some forms of contraception, including IUDs.
- Rape crisis clinics can’t tell women that they have the option to get an abortion.
- Funding for “crisis pregnancy centers”, which are run by religious organizations and don’t provide accurate information to patients. They are designed to lure women away from Planned Parenthood.
- If a woman has an abortion and develops a medical issue during the procedure, she can’t transfer to a public hospital.
The blame for all this is not his alone— the legislature passed all these things, as part of the budget no less. But he vetoed some items from the budget, but not these, so he owns it too. The buck stops with this asshole.