A woman in England was forcibly sedated and had her baby cut out of her body by social services because her mental illness made her “incapable” of caring for the child.
When a woman has a mental illness everyone is allowed to control her body except her.
I just read about this yesterday, and I’m still too stunned/horrified to comment on it
Also important to note:
- she’s an Italian national who was in-country for employment training
- none of her family/next of kin were notified or contacted
- she did not threaten harm to herself or her child
- she was not taking any medications shown to harm a fetus(es?)
- she was forcibly committed when she asked for medical care
- this happened more than a year ago
- she still does not have custody of her child
- who is still in England
- while she is in Italy (and fired, for being committed)
Family courts in the UK are full of decisions that make an event like this almost inevitable. I can’t say exactly what I feel because it would descend into a swearing rage within five words.
While we do have good social workers, outside of that group we have those who fail children and fail to act on abuse, and at the other end of the scale, idiots like the ones you’ve posted about, who make shit up so they can remove children from families, just not directly from the womb up until now.